Training Ignatian Guides
Another opportunity we offer at Fall Creek Abbey is a training for seasoned spiritual directors who sense a calling to become an Ignatian Guide. This training is designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills needed to guide someone through the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. We believe becoming an Ignatian Director is a unique calling and warrants a significant investment of time and preparation.
Participants will gather at the Abbey for five, day-and-a-half intensives that explore the following areas:
1. Discerning the readiness of a candidate for making the Exercises and preparing them to begin
2. Understanding the dynamics of each of the Weeks in the Ignatian Exercises
3. Deepening insight into all Major Reflections in the Exercises
4. In depth work with the Discernment of Spirits, the Rules of Discernment and Ignatian Decision Making
5. A growing appreciation and exposure to other distinctives of Ignatian Spirituality
During each intensive, you will participate in small and large group discussions that facilitate in-depth reflection on your own experience of the Exercises as it relates to the dynamics of the Exercises.
You will read several classic books and articles and listen to selected podcasts prior to each intensive. You will be required to guide two persons through the 19th Annotation, which entails meeting with each directee on a weekly basis. Peer supervision will be an integral part of the last three intensives, and you will be bringing a verbatim to process your experience of guiding someone through the Exercises.
Upon completion, you will receive a certificate signifying that you have met the requirements of this training to guide others through the Ignatian Spiritual Exercises.
Karen Block has developed and will facilitate this training.